An update to the system software for PlayStation 4 systems was released on Mar 9th, 2017. You can use this to update your system software to version 4.50.
Always update your PS4 system to the latest version of the system software. By updating, you can enjoy additional features, improved usability, and enhanced security.
Main features in system software update 4.50
- You can now use a USB storage device to install applications, or move applications from your PS4 system storage. Use a USB storage device that meets the following conditions.
- External hard disk drive
- USB 3.0 or later
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- Select [Settings] > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.
* There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system.
- The quick menu is now more user friendly. Party features, such as creating and joining parties, are even easier to access from the quick menu.
- [Notifications] has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.
- When using Remote Play on a Windows® PC, Mac, Xperia™ Smartphone, or Xperia Tablet, you can now use your device's microphone for voice chat in games or in parties.
- You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen. Select [Settings] > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What's New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshot], and then select [Activities] as the upload destination. Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
- You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
- Your status is now visible as [Mobile] when you sign in to an application such as [PlayStation®App], even when you are away from your PS4 system. This means you are available to communicate with Friends.
- You can now make a party public or private even after the party has been created. Select [Party] > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].
- PlayStation®VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content.
Other new or revised features in version 4.50
- The PS4 system you use to sign in to PlayStation™Network for the first time is now automatically activated as your primary PS4 system.
- As a parent or guardian, you can now easily create sub accounts for your children when creating your master account.
- You can now upload or download saved data right from the home screen. Highlight the game, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Upload/Download Saved Data].
- You now have the option to share screenshots on PlayStation Network. When sharing, you can also adjust privacy settings.
- You can now launch [SHAREfactory] right from [Capture Gallery]. Press the OPTIONS button while viewing [Capture Gallery], and then select [Edit in SHAREfactory].
- You can now change the color of your profile screen to match the cover image. On your profile screen, select [Options] > [Change Cover Image] > [Change Background Color].
- When reporting inappropriate content, you can now preview your report before sending.
- The design of [PS4 Remote Play] for Xperia has been updated.
- When you receive a party invitation in [Messages] or [PS Messages], you can respond with a quick reply.
- Your profile screen cover image on your PS4 system is now displayed in [PS Messages].
- Cinematic mode image quality on PlayStation VR has been improved.
Windows is either a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Mac is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Xperia is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Mobile Communications AB.
"Blu-ray 3D" is a trademark of the Blu-ray Disc Association.