An update to the system software for PlayStation 4 systems was released on October 3rd, 2017. You can use this to update your system software to version 5.00.
Always update your PS4 system to the latest version of the system software. By updating, you can enjoy additional features, improved usability, and enhanced security.
Main features in system software update 5.00
- You can now add users of your PS4 as family members. This makes it easy to manage your child's account information and to restrict PS4 features. To add family members, select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management].
- As the family manager, you can set up your family.
- Up to seven family members (including you) can be in your family and use online features.
- Multiple adults can be in your family. The family manager can make other adults in the family parents or guardians. The family manager and family members who are parents or guardians can adjust parental controls for the children in your family.
- You can configure parental control settings for each child. Using parental controls, you can restrict use of online features and communication with other players, set restrictions for games, restrict use of the Internet browser, and set spending limits for PlayStation™Store.
- You can configure parental controls anytime from your PC or smartphone.
- You can now follow anyone, not just verified accounts. Select (Follow) on a person's profile screen, and their activities and broadcasts will appear in [What's New]. You automatically follow your Friends, but you have the option to unfollow them.
- Recommendations for who to follow are now offered based on the games you play. Select (Friends) > (Follow).
- You can now choose who can follow you and who can see your follow list. Select (Settings) > [Account Management] > [Privacy Settings], and then configure each setting.
- (Custom Lists) has been added to (Friends). Create custom lists to easily organize your Friends and choose players to send messages or game invitations to.
- For certain broadcasts, (Communities) now appears on the (Live from PlayStation) viewing screen. To access the broadcaster's community, select (Communities).
- You can now view (Notifications) on the quick menu.
- The following languages have been added as system languages.
Czech, Indonesian, Hungarian, Romanian, Vietnamese, Greek, Thai
- When broadcasting PlayStation®VR gameplay, you can now see spectator comments on your VR headset screen.
Other new or revised features in version 5.00
- For (Messages), screen layout has been improved, and the following features have been added.
- You can now receive music that has been shared with you as a message. Select the message to play the music.
- Messages containing a URL now display a preview.
- The following features have been added to the quick menu.
- You can now select [Leave This Party] to leave the party.
- You can now see albums and playlists for songs playing in Spotify.
- A clock has been added.
- The following features have been added to (Settings) > [Notifications].
- You can now disable pop-up notifications during video playback.
- You can now choose the color of pop-up notifications.
- You can now choose to show or hide message details in notifications.
- You can now choose to broadcast in 1080p (60 fps) when using Twitch on your PlayStation 4 Pro.
- You can now enjoy Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD content in virtual surround sound when you connect headphones to PlayStation VR.
"Blu-ray Disc" and "Blu-ray™" are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Spotify is a registered trademark of Spotify Ltd.
- Do not download or install the update using data other than the official update file provided online by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Do not download or install updates by methods other than those described in the system documentation or on this website. If you download or install update data from a different source, by a different method, or on a system that has been altered or modified in any way, the system might not operate properly and might not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions can void the system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Do not install system software soon before or soon after a power outage.
- Do not turn off your system during the installation. Interrupting the installation can cause your system to be damaged.
- You might not be able to use some applications or content without first updating the system software.
The system software of the PS4 system and system software updates installed on your system are subject to a limited license from Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. Visit https://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/ps4-eula/ for details.
See how to update.